14 June 2010

1st Annual Baby Summit

No, neither I nor any of my friends are pregnant. Just thought I should throw that out there immediately after you saw the title. Instead, a group of MSU friends have a bet going... this is something our husbands dreamed up, and as you read, you will be able to tell, due to the nature of the "baby bet", as it is entitled.

Since the majority of our husbands are terrified of a little creature called a baby, they have made a deal. Whoever has the first baby out of our group owes everyone else a case of beer. (Can you tell now what party made this bet up?...) I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a deterrent for us females, knowing that we'll have to part with some money to buy beer for the boys in the case that we get pregnant, but the boys are quite excited about it. There are bylaws that outline the type, quantity, and "due date" of the beverages, as well as when the bet is solidified (they have to hear the baby cry). Meanwhile, us females are trying to figure out what we get out of this...the boys unanimously agreed that while they got beer, we got a baby, and we should be happy about that.

All this to tell you that we've decided to celebrate this "bet" by all getting together and hanging out! So this past weekend a group of us headed to Lake Martin, where Matt's parents have a lake house. It was heavenly! It was so great to catch up with friends and hear about what was going on in everyone's lives. We spent looooong days in the sun; Matt chauffered us girls around on the boat while Brian and Allen tried to kill each other on the jet skis. Well, not quite, but that's what it looked like to me and Lindsay at least. They will beg to differ, I can assure you... The wonderful thing about Lake Martin is that the water is very, very clear, and that is something I greatly appreciate, because if you know me, you know I really do not like getting into water where I can't see the bottom, or at least see my feet. Thankfully, I spotted no fish that could eat me and we played in the water a good bit! Saturday night we took the boat and drove to a restaurant that's on the water called Sinclair's. It was packed, but we had so much fun--I've decided that I am perfectly content riding all day on a boat-it is so relaxing, and it is the absolute easiest way to get a tan and not realize it! Brian and I are really excited about moving to Ft. Benning because it means we'll be a lot closer to some of our great friends--it'll put us about 2.5 hours from Allen and Lindsay at Ft. Rucker, and we'll be about an hour away from Matt and Leigh's lake house, which means we might find ourselves at the lake again...

Speaking of Ft. Benning, Brian reports in less than 2 weeks! I kind of can't believe it! The month of June (so far) has been incredibly busy/fun/crazy. I feel like we haven't stopped going all month! We're trying to cram in as much time with everyone here before we leave, and it's making time fly...please tell time to sloooow dowwwn. We're gearing up for another busy weekend as Stacey and Zach's wedding is this Saturday! I can't believe it's here! I think we're going to have a lot of fun--just praying we don't melt all day Saturday! But considering that we're under a heat advisory until tonight and that when I left for work this morning around 7:30 it was 82 degrees already, I'm not sure how we're going to fare on Saturday...might have to get into the freezer at church before the ceremony!

VBS went well last week--those 3 year olds are crazy! I helped Stacey out for two days with the 3 year old class, and we had a good time, although they wore us out! I had two kids get into a little scuffle and when I asked one (the perpetrator) to apologize, he quickly responded with "I don't know how". It took everything I had not to burst out laughing! At night during VBS we also got to hear Dr. Andrew Purves speak, who is a teacher at Pittsburg Theological Seminary-he was great. I really enjoyed his lectures and it gave me such a better understanding of grace and faith. We've also spent some good time with Jon and Elizabeth, our former college ministers who are in town for about 2 weeks. It has been great catching up on life with them and telling crazy stories--they are full of them!

Well I've gone on for long enough now...school is going well too--I really like my class, but it's totally the background compared to everything else going on!

No comments: